Saturday, December 13, 2008

Church choir, a micocosm of church life. - by Warren

Some say that sports is a microcosm of life. At least as much, church choir is a microcosm of life in a Latter-day Saint congregation. I think that church choir represents some of my favorite dynamics of the LDS church.

There is a choir director. It is often obvious that the choir director is not the best singer or leader and sometimes not even musically inclined. Usually, no one knows why the choir director was chosen - not even the choir director or the person doing the choosing. Despite what may be musical inadequacies, the choir performs much better when they take their noses out of their own books and watch/follow the director.

The choir members are an eclectic bunch. Some sing well, others sing less well, and their self-perceptions are often misleading. No matter what skill level, choir members are accepted and challenged to improve.

When I first started participating church choirs I didn't know that there were different parts. Learning a non-melody part is still difficult for me, but Emily is super patient and an inspiring teacher. We are preparing for a Christmas show and, because Emily is my wife, I'm expected to learn the parts so that others can follow ME! For those of you that have been in choirs with me, you can see the irony. But, I'm working outside my comfort zone and learning.

I now know that parts are a beautiful thing about choir. Many parts aren't very pretty alone. Some are downright weird. But, everyone is united in the hope that the composer knew best and that somehow, their awkward part will fit into a greater whole.

Sometimes, there is a temptation to tell the director what to do or covet another part. A member can mistakenly feel both inadequate and superior. There are problems uniting all those voices, showing up on time (or at all), and following the director.

Through the years, I have learned to love choir, and my congregations. When I was 11-ish I remember, clear as ever, walking home from school and telling myself that when I'm 18, I wouldn't have to go to church anymore. Oh, how things have changed. I guess in some sense I was right, I don't have to. But something changed since then, and I wouldn't ever choose not to participate.

I know that this post can be confusing for someone not familiar with the LDS church. That wasn't my intention. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Both my parents were choir directors, and that's one of the reasons why I tend to veer away from choirs! My parents were great directors to be sure, but I'm all too well-acquainted with the drama that's involved with ward choir. Also note how I don't participate in the Slack Family Choir, unless there's a funeral.

Sariah English said...

Hey Warren, Jake wants you to call him! We can't find your number. Thanks

Warren said...

Emily and I have been called as the new ward choir director. No joke.

Carmen said...

I like this.